Sweet Kugel (Noodle Pudding)
This is my recipe for sweet kugel, developed over the years. Please feel free
to experiment with it. A half recipe works well, but if I'm going to the
trouble, I usually make a full one.
|1 lb medium egg noodles|
|8 oz (2 sticks) butter|
|10 large eggs|
|16 oz cream cheese, softened|
|16 oz sour cream|
|12 oz sugar|
|2 tsp vanilla|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|6 oz Graham cracker crumbs|
|2 9x13 baking pans|
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Boil noodles for 8 minutes
- Melt butter
- Separate 6 eggs and beat the whites to stiff peaks
- Beat the 6 egg yolks, 4 remaining eggs, sugar, cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla and salt until well mixed
- Moisten the Graham cracker crumbs with 1 tbsp of the melted butter
Assembly (at each step, put 1/2 of the ingredients in each baking pan)
- Combine the noodles and melted butter in the baking pan
- Stir in the custard mixture
- Fold in the egg whites
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the top.
Cover the pans with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes, removing the foil about 1/2 way through.
Toothpick should come out clean.